Succulents have become vastly popular. You see tutorials all over Pinterest, as well as places like Michael’s that sells all the tools you need to create the most beautiful indoor setups. I don’t have a green thumb – never have, and honestly I try to stay away from plants all together because I can’t seem to keep them alive for more than two weeks. After reading all about succulents and how they are almost dummy proof I decided to take a chance.
(Let’s be honest the pretty pictures on Pinterest had a big factor into my decision making as well)
For Mother’s Day my dad took my mom to Lowe’s to have her pick out some flowers to plant in the front of our house. We looked at all the pretty bushes and tress that we, unfortunately, wouldn’t be able to plant due to weather conditions and the amount of sun the garden area gets.
While they were looking I found some beautiful succulents that I knew I had to have in my tiny home. As I picked out some my brother’s interest peaked and he decided he wanted to plant some for his room. We wanted to keep this on the cheaper side, in case we planted them wrong or they didn’t last. Our local dollar store actually sold a bowl made to plant succulents in so I bought that one for my house. My brother, on the other hand, decided to get a little more creative on a smaller scale and bought a glass mug for a dollar to plant his in.
I read that if the container that you are using doesn’t have a way to release water you will want to line the bottom of your container with rocks before adding soil. So, again, to stay on the cheap side we picked up some plant rocks at the dollar store as well.
After we had the rocks put in we added a small amount of soil. That was the interesting part. Since the soil we used was the leftovers from my parents planting flowers, we attempted to use a shovel to put the soil in the containers. We soon found out that wasn’t going to work, because the bag was so big and it was just easier to go at it with our hands.
Arranging Plants and Adding the Final Amount of Soil
After we got the soil in we wanted to make sure that we put the plants exactly where we wanted them before adding the rest of the soil. Since Noah only had two plants his was easy, mine not so much. There were so many different ways I could layout the succulents.
At one point when adding the final amount of soil I had to put the soil into the original container the succulents came in. This way I was able to distribute the soil without up the plants, since my hands were too big to move the soil around.
How it Turned Out